With winter drawing to a close (according to our calendars), we thought we'd take one more advantage of how well our Original Glühwein marries so well with decadent flavours and so, we have been busy baking up a storm to bring you, Chocolate Glühwein Cupcakes!
These yummy chocolatey, spicy, citrusy morsels contain glüuhwein both in the cake AND in the buttercream icing. Get your ovens preheated and follow these steps:
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Warm Gluhwein
- 1/2 cup oil (sunflower or canola)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180’C
- Mix all together in a large mixing bowl. (Tip – whisk egg whites until fluffy and fold in last for a lighter cupcake.)
- Pour the batter into cupcake liners or muffin tray and bake for 18 – 20 minutes. When a toothpick is inserted into the cupcake and comes our dry, they’re done. Try not to overdo them as this will dry them out.
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 3 cups Icing Sugar
- 3/4 cup Gluhwein reduced to a thick syrup
- 1 TBSP cocao powder
- 1/2 TBSP orange zest
- Bring Gluhwein to the boil in a small sauce pan. Turn down to a medium heat and allow to simmer for 20 - 30 min or until thick and syrupy. Allow to cool!
- Whip butter in a bowl until light and fluffy
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into butter and mix (This should be a very dry icing mix)
- Slowly pour in gluhwein syrup while beating the mixture. If your mixture is still too stiff, add gluhwein one teaspoon at a time until correct texture is created.
- Add orange zest and mix in.
Ice your cupcakes once they have cooled down completely, decorate and enjoy!